27 Throat Chakra Affirmations To Speak Your Truth
If you have a blocked throat chakra, working with affirmations can help you heal this powerful energy center.
Your throat is where you express your authentic self to the world. For a long time, I have been petrified of public speaking; even having a conversation with one person who I have known for years can get my heart racing and leave me out of breath and choking on my words. I have also struggled to find my voice, to speak up for myself, and to say how I truly feel in certain moments. These are all symptoms of a blocked throat chakra.
If this resonates with you, let’s explore how affirmations can help you find your voice, speak your truth, and communicate more openly and effectively.
What are the seven chakras?
- Root chakra (first chakra)
- Sacral chakra (second chakra)
- Solar plexus chakra (third chakra)
- Heart chakra (fourth chakra)
- Throat chakra (fifth chakra)
- Third eye chakra (sixth chakra)
- Crown chakra (seventh chakra)
A “chakra” is an energy center in your body, and each one is connected to a set of nerves and organs. When your chakras are open, and in balance, energy can flow freely through all these centers and your body. But if one or more chakras get blocked, the energy will get stuck here, which can lead to physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual dis-ease.
What is the throat chakra?
The throat chakra is known as the Vishuddha chakra in Sanskrit. It is the fifth chakra and is associated with a blue color. The chakra can be found at the base of the throat, at the top of your collarbone, and at the center of the larynx, which is why it rules communication and self-expression.
A blockage here can go one of two ways. An overactive throat chakra usually manifests as a loud, overly-opinionated person who doesn’t listen to others and can’t engage in a calm conversation without interrupting and throwing in their two cents. The other side is an underactive throat chakra where someone is shy or withdrawn, constantly people-pleasing, and struggles to voice their opinion or defend themselves.
A balanced throat chakra allows us to embrace our authentic selves and express this truth confidently and clearly in the world. It also helps us speak calmly, with love and compassion. And it allows us to listen deeply to others and help them feel seen and heard. Working with affirmations is one of many ways to heal your throat chakra and bring it back into balance.
What causes the throat chakra to become blocked?
Unfortunately, most of us inherited communication styles and patterns from our primary caregivers when we were children. If you know that your caregivers (probably your parents) don’t know how to communicate effectively, there’s a good chance you have learned from their flawed example.
This was true for me. My dad does not know how to communicate healthily when frustrated or angry. I watched him shout, scream, and verbally abuse my mother frequently or give her the silent treatment for days or weeks. When I got into my first serious relationship, I unknowingly mimicked this behavior. Whenever I felt hurt or angered by something my partner had done, I would stop speaking to him. I thought this was a normal way to react, and I didn’t have the tools to express my feelings.
Other experiences can lead to a blocked throat chakra. For example, an argument with a loved one, gossip, and childhood experiences that resulted in trauma. That might be a parent shouting at you, someone abusing you, or being scolded for telling the truth and blurting out something your parents wanted you to keep quiet.
Getting to the root cause of any physical or energetic issue is always important because then you understand where it comes from. With that knowledge and awareness, you can work to heal your throat chakra with specific affirmations and other spiritual and energetic work.
What are the symptoms of a throat chakra blockage?
- A sore throat
- Tight shoulders
- Stiff neck
- Tight jaw
- Headaches and migraines
- Thyroid problems
- Mouth ulcers
- Dental problems
Symptoms of an underactive throat chakra:
- Shy or withdrawn
- People pleaser
- Confusing other’s needs/opinions as your own
- Bottling up your emotions
- Fear of expressing your views/truth
- Fear of being judged and ridiculed
- Struggling to communicate your thoughts clearly
- Stammering and stuttering
- Stage fright
- Being bullied
- Struggling to defend yourself
- Lack of focus and concentration
- Feeling a lack of purpose
Symptoms of an overactive throat chakra:
- Failing to listen effectively to others
- Interrupting people when they speak
- Racing mind
- No filter
- Overly critical of others
- Lashing out at strangers
- Externally you seem confident, but inside, you feel threatened
- Habitual lying
- You regret things you say when upset
27 Throat chakra affirmations
An affirmation is a positive statement or declaration that helps you embrace the qualities and state of mind you wish to embody. They can help us overcome negative, limited ways of thinking, reduce anxiety, and boost our self-esteem and self-love.
As you browse this list, choose an affirmation you feel drawn to that makes your soul tingle, or use these to inspire you to write your own.
- I am a confident speaker.
- I am a great communicator.
- I always voice my opinions in a calm and considerate way.
- It is safe for me to express my truth.
- I speak my truth, and it sets me free.
- My voice is powerful, and I am here to use it.
- I am an active listener.
- I make people feel seen and heard.
- I trust what I have to say.
- I trust myself to speak for what is right.
- I maintain eye contact when I talk to people.
- I speak with honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- I choose to be authentic rather than perfect.
- My feelings are always valid.
- I express myself with ease.
- I pause, I speak, I heal.
- My openness and honesty attract the right people toward me.
- I have a loving voice.
- I speak from a place of loving kindness and compassion.
- I am allowed to take up space.
- I stand up for what I believe in.
- I am connected to my truth.
- I choose to be open and honest, even when I’m afraid.
- I value what I have to say.
- I respect what others have to say.
- My words are powerful.
- My voice matters, and the world needs to hear it.
How to work with affirmations for the throat chakra
There are lots of ways to work with throat chakra affirmations and heal this energy center so that you can reconnect with your truth, express yourself with confidence, and live a more authentic life that feels in integrity.
One of the best ways to do this is to repeat them to yourself, silently or out loud, and visualize a bright blue light radiating from your throat chakra and filling your entire body up.
Here are some other simple yet effective ways to work with your throat chakra affirmations:
- Repeat them as your meditate
- Choose one to repeat silently to yourself during a yoga class (as a Sankalpa)
- Repeat them out loud in front of the mirror
- Write them out on paper and place them on your altar or somewhere you will see them often
- Write them over and over again in your journal
- Record a voice note of you saying your affirmation and listen to it often
- Set an affirmation as a reminder to ping on your phone at the same time every day
Other ways to heal this energy center
Throat chakra affirmations are powerful on their own but far more effective when combined with other spiritual practices and inner work. Here are some other tools to help you heal this energy center.
- Shadow work – meeting your shadows is one of the best ways to find the root cause of your chakra imbalances so that you understand why you are the way you are and can start to heal that trauma or work on those limiting beliefs.
- Yoga – try head rolls, shoulder rolls and gentle neck stretches, lion’s breath, supported shoulder stand, supported fish pose, and plow pose.
- Meditation – use guided meditations that focus on communication and speaking your truth, or simply visualize a brilliant blue light entering your body and filling you up.
- Crystals – the color of crystals tends to match the chakras. For example, blue-colored crystals tend to be linked to communication and will help you express yourself more clearly, find the courage to speak your truth, and engage in difficult conversations. Work with Angelite, Blue Lace Agate, Aquamarine, and Sodalite.
Signs your throat chakra is healing
- You feel more calm and relaxed
- You no longer have a need to people-please
- You can discern the difference between other’s opinions and your own
- You don’t enjoy gossiping anymore and don’t like being around people who do
- There is more clarity in your communication
- You feel more confident expressing your ideas, opinions, and feelings
- Your focus and concentration have improved
- You are a good listener
- You feel more compassion and empathy toward others
- You intuitively know when it’s time to speak up and when it’s time to sit back and listen
- Physical soreness and pain have reduced or disappeared
Are you ready to heal your throat chakra?
Awareness of your chakra imbalances is the first (and an important) step on your healing journey. If this article has clarified that you do suffer from a blocked throat chakra, you now know what’s going on energetically inside you and can start to clear it.
Do you have a blocked throat chakra, and are there some affirmations on this list you feel drawn to work with? I’d love to hear your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.